All things phonics are moving to a new website at www.phonicspow.com…please join us there! Many of the links that were formerly here are now at Sequence for Teaching Reading or follow the links below. Learn more about the Phonics Pow Toolkit now available at Gumroad. Add fun with games, Build skills with memorable introductions, and follow a Color Coded sensible sequence in 260 pages of phonics information. Get word lists, clip strips, word sort games, and more freebies too!
I. GET READY
- a. Information – charts at www.phonicspow.com/resources/tutor-tools/
- b. phonological and phonemic awareness
- c. letter knowledge
II. SOUND OUT WORDS
III. VOWEL PATTERNS
- Silent e
- Bossy R
- Diphthongs – Vowel Teams with (mostly) new sounds
- Vowel Teams – More Ways That Vowels Can Be Long
- Vowels that vary
IV. CONSONANT PATTERNS
V. MULTI-SYLLABLE WORDS
Still in the process of moving the information below…
- Fun Online Games to Practice Reading Skills
- Active, Board, and Card games to practice phonics skills are now at The ABCs of Games for Reading.
- Literacy statistics and ideas for Incentives for Reading.
Create a portable, affordable phonics kit
Supplies for a Phonics Kit
In a plastic Sterlite file box:
- Hanging files and files with plastic covers
- Dry erase pockets. (these are easy to make-apply 3/4” decorative duck tape on two open sides of a report cover.)
- Zip lock bags for game pieces
In a 8 x 11 box in front of Sterlite file box:
- Dice (two)
- Transparent plastic bingo chips in assorted colors to use as markers for games. (Find them at Oriental Trading Company, or at Mardel.)
- A container to draw word cards for sorts (an empty Extra Refreshers gum container works great)
- Dry erase markers
Nice to have:
- a magnetic whiteboard and letters.
- card stock for printing word sorts.
- 1″ circle punch for soccer word sort games.
The Super Tutor Tools Store at Teachers Pay Teachers has many resources I’ve created for tutoring reading. Most have a small charge, but there are freebies there too.
Download the free Silent e set, which includes resources on silent e from the Phonics Fun Folders set, a Space Race game board from the Phonics Patterns Game Board Set, a page from the Spot and Dot Phonics Patterns set, and a Soccer Sort Game. Add these sets for fun ways to learn phonics. Download a pdf Chart to see the options for resources at the Supter Tutor Tools Store at Teachers Pay Teachers.
More Free Phonics Resources:
- Bookmark Set Freebie – These bookmarks include Write the Pattern activities for many Phonics Patterns.
- Pattern Chart Set Freebie – These can be used as sort mats, posters, or printed on business cards for other sorts. Credits: Some artwork copyrighted by Mark A Hicks, illustrator, www.MARKiX.net. Used with permission. Sources for other graphics at Pinterest.
With a Phonics Kit you have the needed tools to help students learn reading skills!