Hearing and manipulating the sounds in language are important skills for learning to read. Phonemic awareness and letter knowledge have been identified in several research studies as the two key indicators of how well children will master beginning reading skills during the first two years in school. (The Threads of Reading by Karen Tankersly at ascd.org)
Understanding Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
Both are about the ability to hear & manipulate the sounds in language…
- Phonological Awareness – in words & syllables
- Phonemic Awareness – at the phoneme (individual sounds within words) level
Phonological Interventions for Struggling Readers from Learning at the Primary Pond has this illustration of the progression of skills, and lots of ideas for activities for developing them.
Phonological Awareness at LearningCommotion has more ideas and a helpful graphic.
Phonological and Phonemic Awareness from The DailyPlanit at the Teachers Pay Teachers Super Tutor store (free)
Phonological and Phonemic Awareness Skills from Clever Classroom
Developmental Sequence from Make, Take, Teach
- Rhyming Quilts from lakeshorelearning.com
- Find the Rhyme from jumpstart.com
- Play Word Family Treasure
Syllable Counting: clap or tap, or feel your mouth drop.
- Syllable Sort from Peterson’s Pad
- Use animal flashcards from supersimplelearning and sort by how many syllables.
- Play Syllable Softball from sightwords.com.
Identify initial sounds
- Beginning Sound Picture Sorts from the measured mom. Match magnetic letters to pictures with Dig up the Letters.
- Another magnetic letter match with Beginning Sound Magnet Match from the kindergarten connection.
- Short Vowel Sliders from themeasuredmom, Word Slider Cards from deceptivelyeducational. (put these in an envelope w/end cut off or a pencil box & slide out one sound at a time)
- Cards with Elkonin boxes from Kimberly’s Kindergarten.
Phoneme segmenting and manipulation
- Word Building and Substitution free from Super Tutor Tools at Teachers Pay Teachers
PLAY Online games:
More at Readingresource.net, Silly Bulls at spellingcity.com, Words that Rhyme at Roy the Zebra, Phonics Fighter beginning sounds from ictgames, and beginning sounds at roomrecess. Middle sounds and from cleverlearner.com, initial sounds at funfonix (click on Game, then Collect the Stars). Syllable counting at BBC and at Education.com (requires sign-up).
Note that many online games require Flash and may not work well on some tablets and smartphones. It can be helpful to download the Puffin browser.
Teach reading skills using hands-on, fun activities: memorable introductions to patterns with fun rhymes, 16 games, 24 worksheets, 11 word sorts and more. Learn more about the Phonics Toolkit and get your copy today!