Am I making this too difficult?

I was a bit surprised when I read Merlin Mann’s post at 43folders about his very simple folder system for email. I have ten folders and it still doesn’t seem like enough. Then I read his notes about the latest podcast with David Allen. And I must agree that the more I struggle with this time management stuff, the more I find out that it is indeed, after all is said and done, in his book. For some reason, it’s just not easy to see that on the first reading.

I’m reminded of making a “work” of art, and being told: “You’re trying too hard!” The simplest system possible that is still enough of a system to work well is what we are aiming for. I plan to review the folders I use for email, computer files, and physical file system to see how close the set-up is. I have a feeling they are not very similar and that this will take awhile!

LifeDev made the point that “80% of projects you define with more than one action need only a listing of the outcome and a next action.” Only the other 20% require more thought and planning. That was something from the book “Getting Things Done” that I hadn’t “gotten” previously. Why make it more complicated than necessary?

I am fascinated by the process of learning to read English and the idea of gamification to make learning fun. Phonics and literacy have become my passion project. I also write about personal development, goal setting, and time management. I enjoy finding great information, combining it in new ways, and packaging it creatively.

Posted in productivity
One comment on “Am I making this too difficult?
  1. Monica Ricci says:

    Great insight! I often remind my organizing clients, “Remember… we want to organize JUST ENOUGH so your life works, not so much that we create MORE work for you.” It’s a tricky balance, but it’s important. Over-organizing creates cumbersome, labor-intensive systems that are difficult to sustain over time. We’re seeking quite the opposite… simplicity and long term sustainability.
    ~Monica

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

eBooks

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Sign up for the free 10 week productivity Challenge
Flipboard Review
Blog Stats
  • 581,015 hits
Archives
%d bloggers like this: