The posts below lead to information on specific phonics patterns, with videos, printable games, and online games to learn the concept. Many online games require Flash and may not work well on some tablets and smartphones. It can be helpful to download the Mozilla Firefox browser. They are collected in one place here at Symbaloo.
I. GET READY
- Learn Phonics FUNdamentals with a free ebook. 26 letters amaze and astound! They make 44 sounds when they move around!
- Add CHARTS:
- Alphabet & Vowel pattern chart with pictures from tweetresources.
- Short and Long Vowel Chart from the Daily Planit.
- Vowel patterns with pictures on one page from thisreadingmama.
- Vowel patterns with pictures on one page from the Daily Planit.
- Phonics Cue Card from maketaketeach
- A simple one page alphabet at making words from Teacher Bits and Bobs or movable alphabet from montessorimaterials.org
3. Alphabet – Letter names and the main sound they make
II. SOUND OUT WORDS
III. VOWEL PATTERNS
- Silent e
- Bossy R
- Diphthongs – Vowel Teams with (mostly) new sounds
- Vowel Teams – More Ways That Vowels Can Be Long
- Vowels that vary
IV. CONSONANT PATTERNS
V. MULTI-SYLLABLE WORDS
Create a portable, affordable phonics kit
The Super Tutor Tools Store at Teachers Pay Teachers has many resources I’ve created for tutoring reading. Most have a small charge, but there are freebies there too.
Transform students into super readers with memorable introductions to patterns with fun rhymes, games, worksheets, word sorts and more in the Phonics Toolkit.
Download the free Silent e set, which includes resources on silent e from the Phonics Fun Folders set, a Space Race game board from the Phonics Patterns Game Board Set, a page from the Spot and Dot Phonics Patterns set, and a Soccer Sort Game. Add these sets for even more fun ways to learn phonics. Once your kit is set up, add some of the resources from others that are compiled at the links in this post. Many of these are provided free for personal or classroom use by the websites included.
Supplies for a Phonics Kit
|In a plastic Sterlite file box:
||In a 8 x 11 box in front of Sterlite file box:|
The Phonics Toolkit Online Resources – find links to all resources and posts here, including Pinterest boards, Symbaloos and the Quizlet app. You may also want to check out 10 Steps to Reading, which includes links to my favorite free online resources for learning phonics. There is a downloadable pdf version.
More Free Phonics Resources at the Super Tutor Tools Store at Teachers Pay Teachers:
- Bookmark Set Freebie – These bookmarks include Write the Pattern activities for many Phonics Patterns.
- Pattern Chart Set Freebie – These can be used as sort mats, posters, or printed on business cards for other sorts. Credits: Some artwork copyrighted by Mark A Hicks, illustrator, www.MARKiX.net. Used with permission. Sources for other graphics at Pinterest.
Glossary of Literacy Terms
- Digraph-a pair of letters representing a single speech sound (consonant digraphs, and vowel digraphs or vowel teams)
- diphthong-two vowels combine to make one sound with mouth positions that change.
- grapheme–the written representation of a phoneme
- phoneme-the individual sounds that make up a word
- phonics–the relationship between letters and sounds
- schwa–a lightly pronounced “uh” vowel sound that can be represented by any vowel
- syllable–a unit of speech generally containing only one vowel sound
With a Phonics Kit you have the needed tools to help students learn reading skills!