All things phonics are moving to a new website at www.phonicspow.com…please join us there! Many of the links that were formerly here are now at Sequence for Teaching Reading or follow the links below.
I. GET READY
- a. Information – charts at www.phonicspow.com/resources/tutor-tools/
- b. phonological and phonemic awareness
- c. letter knowledge
II. SOUND OUT WORDS
III. VOWEL PATTERNS
- Silent e
- Bossy R
- Diphthongs – Vowel Teams with (mostly) new sounds
- Vowel Teams – More Ways That Vowels Can Be Long
- Vowels that vary
IV. CONSONANT PATTERNS
V. MULTI-SYLLABLE WORDS
Still in the process of moving the information below…
- Fun Online Games to Practice Reading Skills
- Active, Board, and Card games to practice phonics skills are now at The ABCs of Games for Reading.
- Literacy statistics and ideas for Incentives for Reading.
Create a portable, affordable phonics kit
Supplies for a Phonics Kit
In a plastic Sterlite file box:
- Hanging files and files with plastic covers
- Dry erase pockets. (these are easy to make-apply 3/4” decorative duck tape on two open sides of a report cover.)
- Zip lock bags for game pieces
In a 8 x 11 box in front of Sterlite file box:
- Dice (two)
- Transparent plastic bingo chips in assorted colors to use as markers for games. (Find them at Oriental Trading Company, or at Mardel.)
- A container to draw word cards for sorts (an empty Extra Refreshers gum container works great)
- Dry erase markers
Nice to have:
- a magnetic whiteboard and letters.
- card stock for printing word sorts.
- 1″ circle punch for soccer word sort games.
The Super Tutor Tools Store at Teachers Pay Teachers has many resources I’ve created for tutoring reading. Most have a small charge, but there are freebies there too.
Download the free Silent e set, which includes resources on silent e from the Phonics Fun Folders set, a Space Race game board from the Phonics Patterns Game Board Set, a page from the Spot and Dot Phonics Patterns set, and a Soccer Sort Game. Add these sets for fun ways to learn phonics. Download a pdf Chart to see the options for resources at the Supter Tutor Tools Store at Teachers Pay Teachers.
More Free Phonics Resources:
- Bookmark Set Freebie – These bookmarks include Write the Pattern activities for many Phonics Patterns.
- Pattern Chart Set Freebie – These can be used as sort mats, posters, or printed on business cards for other sorts. Credits: Some artwork copyrighted by Mark A Hicks, illustrator, www.MARKiX.net. Used with permission. Sources for other graphics at Pinterest.
With a Phonics Kit you have the needed tools to help students learn reading skills!