If you have a savings account, use it to save money for goals. If you don’t, get one so you can. Calculate how much you need/want to save to reach your goal and use a chart to measure your progress. Look into ways you can save money. Simplify your life with ideas from Zen Habits to save money.
Understand the difference between wants and needs.
- NEEDS = Basics for living
- WANTS = Wishes beyond Basic Needs
Print Questions to ask before buying, keep it with you and refer to it before spending money. Research every major purchase before making a decision with resources at your local library like Consumer Reports, car value guides, etc.
- Savings Goal Tracker at Vertex42
- Savings Goal Worksheet at USAA
- Financial Goals Forms from http://www.squawkfox.com
Financial Literacy Course and more at Money For Goals post
This is one of the weekly activities for a Year of Personal Development.