I joined a great Meetup group that gets together to talk about the ideas in non-fiction books. It is so inspiring to meet others interested in personal development and working toward goals.
At the last meeting we discussed “Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average and Do Work That Matters” by Jon Acuff. Here are some things I learned from reading the book about how to…
Step One: The first step to being awesome is to follow Jon on Facebook. His posts are often seriously fun, like the one about the three person hot tub with a window in it next to the bed in his hotel room. Or thought-provoking, like this one: “If you could tell the 18 year old you, one piece of advice, what would you say?” I decided this would be my advice to me: “Be willing to step out of your comfort zone a little and try new things.”
- Step Three: Remember that you already know how to be awesome! When we are kids, we’re awesome. We just forget that.
- Step Four: Experiment! Blow things up, burn things down. Tinker, smash, mix. Scientists learn from their experiments, they don’t call them failures. (Learning)
- Step Five: Ask yourself what brings you joy. (Editing)
- Step Six: Get experience, do the work. (Mastering)
- Step Seven: Don’t be a jerk, don’t get complacent. (Harvesting)
- Step Eight: Use your strengths to help others and share what you’ve learned. Start again! It’s never too late. (Guiding)
- Step Nine: Punch fear in the face. Question your self-talk, use positive affirmations.
- Step Ten: Keep learning! Go read “Start.”
[…] Start by Jon Acuff – How to Be Awesome in 10 Steps […]