Pareto Principle Illustrated

The Pareto Principle or 80/20 rule says that 80% of the output or results will come from 20% of the input or action. (see more at Measuring Productivity)

80-20-1

When this is applied to a typical day, you can expect that 80% of your time will be spent on maintenance, routine work duties, and repeating tasks. This leaves only 20% available for more important things like action steps toward goals, high Return on Investment tasks, ideas, and true relaxation. (Quadrant II of the time management matrix at Priorities) That is why it is critical to use that 20% of time that remains effectively.

Too often, the remaining 20% of the day looks like this:

80-20-3

Ineffective use of free time

80% of it is spent on time wasters: trivia, escape activities, mindless tv viewing. This is what ineffective time use looks like.

The goal of productivity is to use the amount of free time that is available to us to achieve the results we desire. That means using the remaining 20% of the day more like this:

80-20-2

Effective use of free time

80% of it is spent on the important things, and only 20% on time wasters. Remember to Make Today Count!

80-20rule

See also: Pareto Principle (or 80/20 Rule) at Asian Efficiency and How to 80/20 Your Life from Mark Manson.

 

I enjoy finding great information, combining it in new ways, and packaging it creatively. I'm highly interested in the areas of goal setting, time management, and skills to improve life.

Posted in productivity
One comment on “Pareto Principle Illustrated
  1. […] 20 percent of discretionary time on goal-related activities that yield 80 percent results. See also The Pareto Principle Illustrated and Measuring Productivity. Share this:ShareEmailPrintLike this:LikeBe the first to like […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

eBooks

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Receive your free copy of 25 Quotes & Affirmations to Finally Defeat Procrastination (plus 10 more to Overcome Fear)

Flipboard Review
Blog Stats
  • 507,921 hits
Archives
Del.icio.us
%d bloggers like this: