Is there a cause you are passionate about, or a problem you want to solve to make the world a better place? This Change Toolkit provides links to tools to develop a plan of action to advocate for change. Ever since I heard about the How To Start a Revolution Webinar created by Jonathan Fields, I’ve been gathering tools to explore these ideas. Scott Dinsmore at Live Your Legend describes the webinar in his article 18 Field-Tested Steps to Launching a Non-Violent Revolution. I’m sure there are more tools out there, if you know of some please share them at the Daily PlanIt Facebook Page.
I developed a couple tools of my own while working on a plan:
CLARIFY THE IDEA
- The Value Proposition at Wikipedia.
- The Pain Point- “Why Customer Pain is Your Most Important Resource” from Fast Company.
Develop a brand to use for communicating your idea or vision in a way that is clear and compelling.
- How to Create Your Own Manifesto at Bright Spark Media.
- Seven steps to the perfect story from the-cma.com.
- Tell Me a Story (and lots more) at Metropolitan Group.
- Remember to Start with “why” -See the TED Talk by Simon Sinek listed below.
- Links to learn about creating presentations.
Design for contagion.
All these elements should be as captivating as possible.
Consider the Success Model from Made to Stick by Chip and Dan Heath.
And the Stepps Model from Jonah Berger’s “Contagious: Why Things Catch on.”
- Survey: Michael Hyatt describes the results of his survey
Target market or audience demographics: male/female/married/single/ages/employment/geographic location
Choose Channels to reach the target market
- Graphic of possible channels to reach the target market from thesavvystrategist.com
- Create an online newsletter with Flipboard
- Channelcaster app to curate videos
Create resources to spread the word and form groups to support the idea. Resources I’ve been working on for Whole Life Fitness include a brochure with meeting ideas, links at the Daily PlanIt Wiki, a Youtube playlist, a flyer, and a bookmark.
Resources to start a group
1. Choose a method:
2. Choose a time, date, and place
- How to Launch Your Thing on Time at productivityist.com
- How to Host a Networking Event at slideshare.net.
- How to Run Your First Webinar from boostblogtraffic.com
- The Tribes We Lead and How to Get Your Ideas to Spread by Seth Godin
- Start With Why: how great leaders inspire action by Simon Sinek
- How to Start a Movement by Derek Sivers
The Leading Change playlist at Youtube includes all the videos mentioned, plus a few more.
- 10 Easy Ways to Start Something Great at success.com
- 6 Insights on How to be a Change-Maker at success.com
- 10 Tips for an Awesome Coffee Meeting at 99u
- How “Unconferences” Unleash Ideas at Forbes