This plan to follow for tutoring students learning to read was Inspired by Phonics Intervention from Sarah’s First Grade Snippets. The amount of time spent on different activities varies depending on the needs of the student. The assessments at the end of this post help know where to start. These activities can begin once letter names and sounds have been learned. Download a printable pdf of ideas for tutoring sessions here.
Review phonograms with Quizlet flashcards
- PrintnPractice: Cards & Videos – Beginners | Advanced
- allaboutlearningpress app
- Phonogram Chart from Super Tutor Tools
Phonemic Awareness (using voice only)
- Segmenting: tutor says word, student takes apart syllables or separate sounds in a word
- Blending: tutor says separate syllables or sounds in a word, student puts them together to say the word.
- Phonemic Awareness Symbaloo & Symbaloo of Literactive Games (on PC)
Review skills from last lesson
Introduce a new skill, following sequence as the student is ready.
- Sort word cards from eslflashcards or picture cards from Lanternfish (see below) onto pattern charts
- Play soccer sort game
Look for patterns
- Spot and dot sentences at the Super Tutor Tools store at Teachers Pay Teachers
- wordsearches at ictgames
ENCODE (put letter sounds into writing)
Build words (with magnetic whiteboard and letters, or online magnetic letters from goteachthis.com)
- Tutor says a word, “how many sounds do you hear? What is the first sound? Etc.” Student uses letter tiles to build it, then writes it.
- Word Building and Substitution-change one sound at a time to make new words
- Write words with the patterns in columns under the correct pattern – Bookmark freebie
Encode sight words with Sight Words Audible from Mr. Nussbaum
Literacy Resources (heggerty.org) has assessments for:
- letter names and sounds skills
- phonemic awareness skills
National Right to Read Foundation (nrrf.org) Reading Competency Test “Reading Competency Test” Part 1 – Phonics Patterns, Part 2 – Reading Level
To learn about phonics basics and for quick access to resources and games at the Daily Planit, download a free ebook: “Phonics FUNdamentals plus online games to practice reading skills.” Explore the Phonics Toolkit here at the Daily Planit and my resources available at the Super Tutor Tools store at Teachers Pay Teachers.