Explore 10 ways you can develop reading skills. Download the 10 Steps to Reading Handout (pdf) with these tips which include my favorite free online resources. Credits for illustrations: quite a few are from artist Mark A Hicks who contributed to Discovery Education Clipart. Pattern charts from boostforreaders. Sources for others at Pinterest.
10 Steps to Reading
3. Learn phonics patterns in sequence as the student is ready. The sequence in different programs can vary, but generally: Silent e, Bossy r, Vowel Teams, Diphthongs, and Digraphs.
- Watch videos – Kids vs Phonics from RedCatReading are fun and cover a lot of phonics patterns
- Pattern charts from boostforreaders
- Phonics presentations at ReadingBear.org
4. Practice patterns with picture and word sorts
5. Play games that encourage literacy. Hands on games include traditional games like Boggle and Bananagrams, as well as many free printable games that can be found through the phonics kit post. There are also many free online games at Symbaloo, Use the Puffin browser for Flash games on mobile devices.
6. Read books to practice the patterns. The books from Progressive Phonics are free, fun, and practice the phonics patterns. They can be printed or read online.
7. Learn sight words. These high frequency words often are not decodable with phonics guidelines.
9. Use your library. Attend storytimes, participate in summer reading programs, check out books & online resources. Choose fun books at the right level.