Both Stephen R Covey and David Allen advocate the importance of a weekly review. The weekly review is the way to monitor your progress towards acheiving goals and to take the time to plan. Choose a regular time for a weekly review that will work well for you.
Steps for a Weekly Review:
- Review the past week and your schedule for the upcoming week.
- Plan for the next week: add repeating tasks that need to be done, and look for room in your schedule to add tasks that will move projects and goals forward.
- Review your value statement or unique selling proposition
- Review your projects and goals: develop goal and project plans and add more action steps as needed.
- Review ideas and decide if there are any you wish to take action on.
- Check for anything that needs to be followed up on.
- Print calendar and/or lists if desired.
Weekly Review Questions:
- How does what actually happened in the past week compare to what you had planned?
- What went well? Was progress made on projects and goals?
- Do all tasks, projects and goals align with your value statement?
- What didn’t go so well? Where are you stuck and what can you do about it?
- Did you make good use of available discretionary time? (time left after job description activities, maintenance and repeating tasks)
- Can you increase the amount of discretionary time?
- How did you waste time? What changes can you make to reduce or eliminate time-wasters?
- Did you spend enough time with family and friends?
- Did you spend enough time on fitness, leisure and spiritual activities?
- What will you do next week?
Weekly Planning lets you see how the next week will look. You can see how busy it is, and quiet times where you can schedule additional tasks. The free printable Annual Planner at An Annual Review keeps you on track with forms to capture results of weekly and monthly reviews.
- Facile Things-Basic GTD: The Weekly Review
- Weekly Review: The Productivity Secret of Superhuman Achievers – whyileftgoogle.com
- Ricky’s RAM dump – Why we resist the weekly review
- Productivity in Context – The Weekly Review
- Productivityist – Why You Need to Review
- Genuine Curiosity – 5 Steps Weekly Review
- 100 Habits – Weekly Review
- Zen Habits – Review Your Goals Weekly
- Step 8 -Review Your System Regularly at Productive Magazine
- My Weekly Review Checklist from gtd.marvelz.com