A Tutorial for Setting and Achieving Your Goals
Setting goals and taking steps to achieve them is like setting the GPS for a trip; goals are like a map to get you where you want to be. View GPS for your life (slideshare).
- Keys to get started: Know Yourself – uncover hidden talents and map your values.
- Know your destination. A value statement is like a compass that always points in the right direction.
- Fill ‘er up. The energy level gauge is a tool similar to a wheel of life to look at balance in life areas. Maximize energy and find money for goals.
- Generate goal ideas and choose goals (goal chart – more forms for goals at the Goal Toolkit)
- Evaluate goals and choose top priority goals. End goals lead to a meaningful journey.
PLAN IT – Map your route
- Written goals are one of The Rules of Goals that The Science of Goals shows will increase chances of achievement.
- Make goals SMART – Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant & Rewarded, Time-bound.
- Map a specific route. Break goals down into action steps and plan projects. Schedule action steps into your calendar. Plan long range and short range.
- Make it measurable. Find a chart for tracking goal metrics at an annual review. Track results with a habit tracker, a Seinfeld chart, or goal charts for daily, weekly, and monthly goals. Apps can automate this for some goals, like fitness trackers or financial goals.
- Attainable and Time bound. Look at time frames and set target dates.
- Relevant and Rewarded. Align with values and provide good return on investment. Set RPMS – Rewards Provide Motivation. Turn on inspiration and maintain motivation.
Get in gear. Goals, by definition, can be challenging. The economy of goals means that the benefit of a goal must exceed the resources required to obtain it. Anticipate obstacles and overcome procrastination. Manage time well, because goals and productivity are like peanut butter and jelly. The better you manage your time, the more you will have for reaching your goals.
STAY ON COURSE
Keep goals visual and visible…Post a goal master list of the top priority goal in each life area. Monitor progress with a regular review, and adjust steering as needed. Celebrate success when a goal is reached, and choose another goal.
- Check out my Goals Pinterest board.
- The Daily PlanIt eBook, “Get Goaling” is a simple guide to set and achieve your goals.
- Master 12 goal skills (printable Goal Mastery pdf)
- Ask 10 Minutes 10 Questions for Goals.
- Online Goal Setting Workshop from gpslifeplan.org