Setting goals and taking steps to achieve them is like setting the GPS for a trip; goals are like a map to get you where you want to be. Here is a fun free printable Goal Roadmap (pdf) with the action steps to take. Find it and lots more at the Goal Toolkit. The Daily PlanIt eBook, “Get Goaling” is a simple guide to set and achieve your goals.
- Know Yourself – Discover U.
- Get started with key values. Goals that align with your values are highly motivating.
- Know your mission. Use Stephen R Covey’s Mission Statement Builder to create a value statement. Like a compass, it will always point in the right direction.
- Design an environment that inspires creative thinking to generate goals in various life areas. Choose your goals to focus on the shift you want to create. Get ideas for goals, evaluate them, and choose top priority goals. End goals lead to a meaningful journey.
- Make goals SMART -specific and measurable.
- Plan long range and short range.
- Map out a route – plan projects, and break goals down into action steps.
- Schedule action steps into your calendar.
- Measure results and keep track of progress. You can use a habit tracker, a Seinfeld chart, or goal charts. Apps can automate this for some goals, like fitness trackers or financial goals. Find a chart for tracking goal metrics at an annual review.
- Anticipate obstacles and plan for them.
- Set RPMS – Rewards Provide Motivation
- Look at time frames and set target dates.
- Fill ‘er up with energy.
- Turn on inspiration and maintain motivation. Keep goals visual and visible…Post a goal master list of the top priority goal in each life area.
- Act- Get in Gear!
- Monitor progress with Reviews: weekly, monthly, and an annual review -adjust steering as needed.
Learn more: about The Science of Goals, and develop more goal skills (printable Goal Mastery pdf.) View GPS for your life (slideshare). Ask 10 Minutes 10 Questions for Goals. See also The Rules of Goals and The Economy of Goals.
Online Goal Setting Workshop from gpslifeplan.org
Goals and Productivity are like peanut butter and jelly. Learn how to increase productivity with the Time Management 101 Tutorial.