A Tutorial for Setting and Achieving Your Goals
Setting goals and taking steps to achieve them is like setting the GPS for a trip; goals are like a map to get you where you want to be. View GPS for your life (slideshare).
- Know Yourself – Discover U.
- Get started with key values. Goals that align with your values are highly motivating.
- Know your mission. Create a value statement or use Stephen R Covey’s Mission Statement Builder. Like a compass, it will always point in the right direction.
- Design an environment that inspires creative thinking to generate goals in various life areas. Choose your goals to focus on the shift you want to create. Get ideas for goals, evaluate them, and choose top priority goals. End goals lead to a meaningful journey.
- Make goals SMART -specific and measurable.
- Plan long range and short range.
- Map out a route – Written goals are one of The Rules of Goals that The Science of Goals shows will increase chances of achievement. Break goals down into action steps and plan projects.
- Schedule action steps into your calendar.
- Measure results and keep track of progress. You can use a habit tracker, a Seinfeld chart, or goal charts. Apps can automate this for some goals, like fitness trackers or financial goals. Find a chart for tracking goal metrics at an annual review.
- Anticipate obstacles and plan for them.
- Set RPMS – Rewards Provide Motivation (there are even more strategies below)
- Look at time frames and set target dates.
- Fill ‘er up with energy. Maximize money for goals.
- Turn on inspiration and maintain motivation. Keep goals visual and visible…Post a goal master list of the top priority goal in each life area.
- Act- Get in Gear!
- Monitor progress with Reviews: weekly, monthly, and an annual review -adjust steering as needed.
Goals and Productivity are like peanut butter and jelly The better you manage your time, the more you will have for reaching your goals. Learn how to increase productivity with the Time Management 101 Tutorial.
The Daily PlanIt eBook, “Get Goaling” is a simple guide to set and achieve your goals.
Online Goal Setting Workshop from gpslifeplan.org