Emotional – Activity: Express Emotions with I Statements
Just as we have choices about how to interpret an event, we also have options about how to express feelings.
First, evaluate the situation:
- How important is it to me?
- Are my feelings based on rational beliefs/thoughts?
- Is it something that can be changed?
- What are the likely results if I speak up?
- Is it appropriate to speak up?
- Is it worth it for me to take action?
- Observations – state the facts, describe the situation
- Feelings – describe your own feelings
- Thoughts – about the effects of the situation
- Wants – ask clearly for what you want
- Intentions – tell what you plan to do
This week, I will decide if expressing emotions is the best choice in situations that arise. If I choose to express my emotions, I will use I statements. I will print a Five Message Worksheet (pdf) and use it each day.
This is one of the weekly activities for a Year of Personal Development.