Emotional – Activity: Identify Emotions
Feelings come in a wide variety of types and intensity. Learning to increase awareness to recognize the emotions we are feeling is an important skill to develop our emotional intelligence. [Learn more about emotional intelligence]
Emotions in the Body
Recognize the physical indicators of emotion. Signs of anger can include: headaches, a clenched jaw, flushed face, tense shoulders, fast pulse or racing heart, fast and shallow breathing. Some of these can also indicate stress, fear, or in some cases attraction. Recent research has created body maps showing where and how emotions are felt. See what they have discovered at this NPR article.
This week, I will print a feelings chart and mood diary, and each evening note what I’ve been feeling during the day.
Tools for identifying emotions
- Emotions Color Wheel
- Printable Feelings Wheel from Gottman Institute
- Printable Feelings Chart at the Daily PlanIt Shop
- Printable Mood Diary from http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/
- Guide to the Best Habit and Mood Tracking Apps at tech.co
- Emotional Intelligence at Helpguide
- Recognizing Emotions at www.emotionalcompentency.com
- Noticing emotions meditation http://www.self-compassion.org/noting.practice.MP3
More activities for a Year of Personal Development