Download free printable version of the CopingSkillsToolkit (pdf)
Stop – pause & notice
Observe – events → thoughts → feelings
Shift – engage coping skills
- Notice what your body is telling you and manage stress
- Use the Emotional Intelligence Toolkit at helpguide.org
- Identify the emotions you are feeling – Gottman Institute feelings wheel
- Dispute irrational beliefs – ABCs of REBT (download a free worksheet)
- Mindful Breathing Meditation at helpguide.org (9:08)
- Youtube playlist of breathing bubbles
- Calm breathe bubble
- Imagine you are standing on an ocean beach.
- Hear the sounds of ocean waves.
- See the blue sky and green palm trees.
- Smell the sweet scent of colorful flowers.
- Feel the warmth of the sun, a gentle breeze, and the sand beneath your feet.
- Inhale deeply as you stretch up to the sky, breathing in hope, peace, serenity, and calm.
- Slowly exhale as you reach toward your toes, letting go of all tensions and worries.
Watch video: Emotions and the brain (2:00). If a fight or flight reaction is triggered, chemical flooding takes place and hijacks the thinking part of the brain. Engage in coping strategies like deep breathing or taking a walk. It takes 20 minutes to return to normal. Notice what your body is telling you.
- 4 -7 -8 breathing
- Listen to: Delta Sleep System by Dr. Jeffrey Thompson or piano music by Kevin Kern