This is one section of a Phonics Kit that you can create. Many of the resources are provided for personal or classroom use. See the full post for more resources! Learn more about the Phonics Toolkit available at Teachers Pay Teachers and get your copy today!
Word families are words that have the same endings, and therefore rhyme.
WATCH word families by Little Fox
Word Family Cards are modified from margedteachingposters for easier printing. (22 cards, 6 pages) Cut the end off of an envelope and slide the clue picture out. Students can make as many words with the same ending as they can think of, then slide the words out to see if they thought of all of them.
The Word Family Picture sorts from flyingintolearning.com can be used to provide pictures with clues. I like to use these with the Word Family Treasure game below.
- Hands-on Word Family Treasure game (free!) and Roll a Word Family at Teachers Pay Teachers from the Daily PlanIt
- Word families at Turtle Diary (pc only) and an online word family sort at readwritethink.org
Please note that many online games require Flash and may not work well on some tablets and smartphones. It can be helpful to download the Mozilla Firefox browser.
More Word Family Resources:
- Printable CVC word lists from k12reader.com
- Word Family Sliders from Make, Take & Teach
- Word Family Bookmarks from 3dinosaurs
- Word Family Pictures for A E I O U from themeasuredmom
- Word Family Ladders from confessionsofahomeschooler (22 pages, both long & short)
See Active, Board, and Card games at the ABCs of Games For Reading.
Teach reading skills using hands-on, fun activities: memorable introductions to patterns with fun rhymes, 16 games, 24 worksheets, 11 word sorts and more. Learn more about the Phonics Toolkit and get your copy today!
For even more resources, check out my reading Pinterest board.