See Resources for more toolkits.
Is there a cause you are passionate about, or a problem you want to solve to make the world a better place? This Change Toolkit provides links to tools to develop a plan of action to advocate for change. Ever since I heard about the How To Start a Revolution Webinar created by Jonathan Fields, I’ve been gathering tools to explore these ideas. Scott Dinsmore at Live Your Legend describes the webinar in his article 18 Field-Tested Steps to Launching a Non-Violent Revolution. I’m sure there are more tools out there, if you know of some please share them at the Daily PlanIt Facebook Page.
I developed a couple tools of my own while working on a plan:
- The Value Proposition at Wikipedia.
- The Pain Point- “Why Customer Pain is Your Most Important Resource” from Fast Company.
- The Hedgehog Concept from Jim Collins
Develop a brand (see the Brand Toolkit) to use for communicating your idea or vision in a way that is clear and compelling.
- How to Create Your Own Manifesto at Bright Spark Media.
- Seven steps to the perfect story from the-cma.com.
- Tell Me a Story (and lots more) at Metropolitan Group
- Remember to Start with “why” -See the TED Talk by Simon Sinek listed below.
- People need to feel the problem -article at hbr.org
- Need change, feel emotion at Decker Communications
- Links to learn about creating presentations.
Design for contagion.
All these elements should be as captivating as possible.
Consider the Success Model from Made to Stick by Chip and Dan Heath.
And the Stepps Model from Jonah Berger’s “Contagious: Why Things Catch on.”
- Survey: Michael Hyatt describes the results of his survey
- Measuring with the right metrics from Terry Starbucker
- The Social Content Graph from List.ly
- Minding the Gap with Dashboards from Social Architects
Ultimate Guide to Building Your Tribe at paidtoexist.com
Target market or audience demographics:
- The Customer Archetypes from Entrepreurship.org.
- Develop Personas from basicblogtips.com
- How to Target an Audience from yourwriterplatform.com
Choose Channels to reach the target market
- Graphic of possible channels to reach the target market
- Create an online newsletter with Flipboard
- Channelcaster app to curate videos
Create resources to spread the word and form groups to support the idea. Resources I created for Whole Life Fitness include a brochure with agenda ideas, links at the Daily PlanIt Wiki, a Youtube playlist, a flyer, and a bookmark.
Resources to start a group
1. Choose a method:
2. Choose a time, date, and place
- How to Launch Your Thing on Time at productivityist.com
- How to Host a Networking Event at slideshare.net.
- How to Run Your First Webinar from boostblogtraffic.com
- The Tribes We Lead and How to Get Your Ideas to Spread by Seth Godin
- Start With Why: how great leaders inspire action by Simon Sinek
- How to Start a Movement by Derek Sivers
The Leading Change playlist at Youtube includes all the videos mentioned, plus a few more.
- 10 Easy Ways to Start Something Great at success.com
- 6 Insights on How to be a Change-Maker at success.com
- 10 Tips for an Awesome Coffee Meeting at 99u
- How “Unconferences” Unleash Ideas at Forbes
- 10 Ways to Create Contagious Content at jeffbullas.com
- Getting Started Toolkit at serve.gov
- How to Create a Movement Within Your Organization and Change the World- Step Two at innovationexcellence.com
“Make Waves” by Patti Johnson http://pattibjohnson.com/make-waves/
Collective Action Toolkit from Frog Design