Remember Tom Hank’s character in the movie Big, who wished that he was bigger?
When we are young, we naturally want to grow bigger and stronger. We see the world as an exciting place that we want to explore. We enjoy going on adventures and learning new things. Somewhere along the path of time, these natural tendencies can get left behind and replaced with a preference for staying in our comfort zone. Yes, there are dangers and setbacks if you choose to go on this adventure called life. But the alternative, choosing to just stay home, can lead to a less than big life.
The ideas in Carol Dweck’s Growth Mindset are powerful, and the article “Is it time for a personal growth mindset?” in Scientific American suggests applying these ideas to adopting a personal growth mindset. Here are a few beliefs for a personal growth mindset.
Personal Growth Mindset
- I am the architect of my life. It is up to me to build it.
- The more I learn, the stronger I am and the better I will be able to succeed and thrive in life.
- Continuous personal growth is very desirable.
- I love to explore ideas and learn new things.
- Change can be hard, but I can do it if I choose to. I use strategies to overcome procrastination and work toward my goals.
- Work is not a four letter word. Meaningful work is awesome.
- I am worthy of love and belonging. My worthiness is not attached to things or accomplishments, no matter how awesome (or not) they are.
- Mistakes are opportunities to learn. I am not my mistakes or my accomplishments. I am me, and I am loved.
- Learning and growing is a fun adventure. I continue to grow and learn always.
- I am resilient: I bounce back when faced with adversity.
- I have grit: I work hard for the things I believe in, and I persist in pursuing them no matter what happens.
- I build the skills I need to overcome hardships.
- I invest my time to do what is meaningful to me.
- I am creative and use my imagination to solve problems.
- I read books and articles that spark ideas.
- I follow the practices that studies show will increase well-being.
Free Printable Personal Growth Mindset (pdf)
Do you want a bigger life? Maybe it is time to go BIG or go home.