Career -Activity: Write a Cover Letter and Prepare for Interviews
A cover letter is an important tool in the career search process which allows you to introduce yourself and target your qualifications to the job opening.
- The Purdue Writing Center is a great place to begin.
- A Cover Letter handout from North Carolina Career Services includes tips and examples.
- Virginia Tech describes different types of cover letters with samples.
- CareerZone Letter Writer.
- Always proofread carefully to avoid misspelled words or other mistakes.
- For examples of what NOT to do, check out www.resumania.com
Prepare for Interviews:
- Research for company information
- Prepare answers for commonly asked questions and practice.
- Getting Ready for a Job Interview video from Illinoisworknet.
The day of the Interview:
- Dress neatly
- Be on time
- More Interview tips from the Georgia Department of Labor
Follow-up with a Thank You note.
This is one of the weekly activities for a Year of Personal Development.