Optimize Your Day With the Science of Productivity and Run Your Day Like an Athlete. Include practices that have been shown to increase happiness & well-being to really Make Shift Happen.
It was part of my routine for awhile to take time each day for deep breathing and stretches while listening to a CD of the sounds of ocean waves. I imagined all the sensations of standing on an ocean beach, surrounded by blue sky, green palm trees, and the sweet scent of colorful flowers. I imagined feeling the warmth of the sun, a gentle breeze and the sand beneath my feet. As I touched on all the senses I felt connection with the world. While I inhaled and stretched up, I thought of filling up with hope, peace, serenity and calm. With each exhalation, I released tensions and worries, letting them go as I reached down toward my toes. I no longer do this exercise daily, but it certainly helped during some stressful times.
There is benefit in having a daily routine. These often simple yet essential tasks keep us on the right track. It is interesting to see how others arrange their days. (See the articles listed at the end of this post.) But just as we must each find a productivity system that works best for us, everyone needs their own daily routine for their unique life. Getting started on a task or a day is often the hardest part. Once a routine is in place, it becomes an automatic way to begin. The idea is to free up brain cells that can be used for more creative pursuits. Of course, the occasional shake-up adds variety and invites inspiration. I am fortunate to have more freedom and flexibility now, but generally follow these routines.
Grab your favorite printable daily form and design a routine that works for you.
“If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I’m going to do?” -Steve Jobs
“What will I do today that’s worth talking about tomorrow?” – Montel Williams
- Coffee & stretches
- 7am Feed pets
- Take vitamins
- Make breakfast/read newspaper
- Work @computer
- Check weather and email
- Review calendar and to-do list
- Do important work & stay focused
- 10:30am aerobic workout
- Review progress and stay on track
- Do routine tasks
- Be aware, stay hydrated
- Learn something
- Cool down and wrap up
- Clear desk
- Review today and plan tomorrow
- 6pm Fix dinner/cleanup
- Connect with family
- Lift weights and do posture exercises when watching tv
- Lock up for the night
- Wash up/brush teeth
What does your daily routine look like?
- Run Your Day Like an Athlete at Dailyplanit.com
- How Mundane Routines Produce Creative Magic at 99u
- Daily Routines of 7 Famous Entreprenuers and How to Design Your Own Master Routine at Bufferapp
- 10 Things to do every work day at Inc.
- 16 Things You Should Do at the Start of Every Work Day at Forbes
- 16 Things You Should Do at the End of Every Work Day at Forbes
- 8 Good Morning Questions that Create Happiness at Marc and Angel Hack Life
- 10 Things Happy People Do Every Morning at powerofpositivity.com
- 5 Morning Rituals to Keep You Productive All Day Long at Entrepreneur.com
- How to Design the Perfect Morning Routine at High Existence