We all need a schedule that fits our unique life: everyone has their own preferences and tasks to perform. Some prefer to exercise, shower or bathe in the morning, others in the evening. Checklists can help us remember everything that needs to be done. I recently powered up my daily routine with some favorite prayers and quotes for inspiration, various exercises scattered throughout the day, and music that fits that part of my day. Finding ways to add gratitude, meditation, and deep breathing on a daily basis helps to manage stress and increase happiness. I keep a copy in Google Drive so I can easily review it. These are some of my favorite prayers and quotes (pdf) for a daily routine checklist (pdf)
- “Every day is a gift, that’s why they call it the present.”
- “What we are is God’s gift to us, What we become is our gift to God.” -Eleanor Powell
- A grateful heart a garden is…plant seeds of gratitude, kindness & inspiration today.
Affirmations: “I will choose a positive attitude and thinking today. I will choose a growth mindset, and view problems as challenges. I will bravely be my authentic self and stretch beyond my comfort zone. I will project both strength and warmth. I will listen with attention and communicate with care. I will use my talents for a meaningful purpose. I will create meaningful memories with those I care about.
My morning prayer: “Thank You, God, for the opportunities of this new day. Grant me kindness and compassion for others, patience when dealing with any difficulties, strength to handle problems. Help me to grow and to be my best self.”
Morning Light Prayer
“For this new morning with its light, For rest and shelter of the night, For health and food, for love and friends. For everything Thy goodness sends, Thank you, God.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Review value statement and vision board with photos of strengths
“Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: be kind. Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.” -William Arthur Ward
- Get to work! I find listening to nature sounds or classical music that activates Alpha brain waves really helps me to access flow and maintain focus.
- Listening to workout music while exercising makes it easier. [30 minutes of aerobic on the elliptical machine is vital to keep me feeling good, and 10:30 am works best for me]
You are the one [fellow] that has to decide
Whether you’ll do it, or toss it aside.
You are the one [fellow] who makes up your mind,
Whether you’ll try for the goal that’s afar
Or be contented to stay where you are.
Take it or leave it. Here’s something to do!
Just think it over. It’s all up to you.
Be a torch or be a spark.
Be a candle in the dark.
Be a sunbeam or a star.
Be the shining light you are.
Have You Earned Your Tomorrow by Edgar Guest
Is anybody happier because you passed his way? Does anyone remember that you spoke to him today? This day that’s almost over, did you use its moments well or will the angel’s record a tale of trouble tell? Did you waste the day, or save it? Was it well, or poorly spent? Did you leave a trail of kindness, or a scar of discontent? As you close your eyes in slumber, do you hear the angel say, “You have earned one more tomorrow by the way you lived today”?
- Create meaningful memories with good conversation during a family meal.
- Lift weights and do posture exercises when watching tv [neck strengthening exercises are crucial to keep me feeling good, and a short simple weight lifting routine with dumbbells is another goal]
My evening prayer: “Thank you, God, for the gift of this day. Thank you for your loving care, and for always being by my side.”