We all face routine tasks to maintain our home, and most jobs involve regular duties that must be completed. It’s important to have a method for them to pop up on your radar to deal with them, without cluttering up your to do list.
What are the tasks that you must accomplish on a regular basis at work and at home? Identify the repeating tasks that must be done on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis at home and work. Time yourself as you perform the tasks for an estimated time, and note if the task is best performed at a certain time or place, if peak time or a tool is needed, etc.
You can simply use a repeating task checklist, or use separate lists according to frequency:
- Daily Routine – Daily Plan Form or a Time log from Right Attitudes
- Weekly Routine – Weekly Repeating Tasks (pdf) or a Weekly Planner from Vertex42.com
- Monthly – Monthly Repeating Tasks (pdf)
- Annual – Annual Repeating Tasks (pdf)
Monthly repeating tasks may be financial, goals, or for work or home. You may want to include some Master Tasks-the most important tasks that add value if you do them. See Before you create a To-Do List at Michael Hyatt.
See also the Annual Review Metrics form at An Annual Review.
@Work: check job description or O*Net
- Schedule repeating tasks in Google Calendar, for automatic reminders on your computer and/or smart phone.
- Set recurring tasks in your To-do app, or keep a separate to-do list of repeating tasks. Learn more about how I manage tasks with the Daily PlanIt Keep It Super Simple (K.I.S.S) System and an inside look at my system and workspace.
- If you use Evernote for lists, see this article from highperformance on How to Set Up Evernote Reminders.
- Portable GTD mini system, Calendar & Tickler File
- GTD analog tools listed at Zen Habits Massive GTD Resource List
- More Cleaning Checklists
- Menu Planning
- free printable planner inserts at Free Tools.
More Reading: repeating tasks at the Daily PlanIt Wiki
Routines at Zen Habits, Top 10 Hacks for Automating Your Life at Lifehacker.com, How to Use Your Calendar and 5 ways you can automate your life and save time at Asian Efficiency (they also have a 5 day automation challenge)
This is one of the weekly activities for a Year of Personal Development.