This set of GREAT Skills trading cards on the brain and motivation includes:
- David Rock “Your Brain at Work” + TED Talk “Learning About the Brain Changes Everything“
- Dan Pink “Drive” + TED Talk “The Puzzle of Motivation“
- Simon Sinek “Start With Why” book + TED Talk
- Dan Ariely “Predictably Irrational” book + TED Talk
- Angela Duckworth “Grit” book + TED Talk
Brain Facts: The human brain weighs about 3 pounds and is 75% water. It uses about 20% of the oxygen in the body. The brain is very complex, but a few Brain regions at Brain Basics include the prefrontal cortex which is responsible for executive functions, and the amygdala, where the fight or flight response takes place. There are five kinds of brain waves, and the brain is influenced by chemicals known as neurotransmitters.
A to-do list for your brain:
Learn new things, and exercise your brain with games.
Scientific American debates the effectiveness at brain games at Brain Games: do they really work. See one man’s experience at Training my Aging Brain from Discover magazine. But if you’d like to try a few just in case, there are some free online brain games at this Pinterest Board.
Eat dark chocolate! Psychology Today says so.
Meditate. 7 ways meditation can change the brain from Forbes.
Exercise. Harvard School of Medicine says so.