It can tricky to understand motivation. For more about how to overcome procrastination and get motivated, check out:
- Alex Vermeer on How to Get Motivated
- Tip the Scales To Master Motivation: Visual Strategies to Overcome Procrastination
- 25 Quotes and Affirmations to Finally Defeat Procrastination
- The Overcome Procrastination and Get Motivated Pinterest Board
- self expression
- service to others
- interpersonal relationships
Motivation can involve positive or negative consequences. Motivation can be tangible or intangible, intrinsic or extrinsic. Positive motivation is usually the most effective, and intrinsic motivation tends to be intangible. However, to stop a bad habit like using bad language, you can set up a negative tangible consequence like putting a dollar in a jar every time you slip up.
To achieve goals in the workplace:
Measure results and share the results. Simply posting a scorecard can make the outcome like a game, motivating us to improve the score.
Recognize and reward progress. Provide incentives -an employee incentive plan doesn’t need to be expensive or complicated. Get creative ideas and ask what they want.
Be sure that the goal is communicated clearly. Expectations and consequences need to be clearly understood by everyone.
Dan Pink, author of Drive: the surprising truth about what motivates us, talks about Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose.
- Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose at Brainpickings.org
- Can betting against yourself online help you save money? from pbs.org
- New Years Resolutions Stick When Willpower is Reinforced from The New York Times
- How to Make Commitments You Will Actually Keep by Scott H Young
- Effective Motivation and Delegation Techniques
- Twentysomething: 7 ways to motivate your Millennial at Brazen Careerist
- Motivations and Rewards (pdf)
More on Motivation at the Daily PlanIt: