Hearing and manipulating the sounds in language are important skills for learning to read. Phonemic awareness and letter knowledge have been identified in several research studies as the two key indicators of how well children will master beginning reading skills during the first two years in school. (The Threads of Reading by Karen Tankersly at ascd.org)
Understanding Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
Both are about the ability to hear & manipulate the sounds in language…
- Phonological Awareness – in words & syllables
- Phonemic Awareness – at the phoneme (individual sounds within words) level
A helpful explanation of Phonological Awareness is at Dyslexia Help.
Phonological Interventions for Struggling Readers from Learning at the Primary Pond has this illustration of the progression of skills, and lots of ideas for activities for developing them.
Phonological Awareness at LearningCommotion has more ideas and a helpful graphic.
Phonological and Phonemic Awareness Skills from Clever Classroom
Developmental Sequence from Make, Take, Teach
Phonological and Phonemic Awareness from The DailyPlanit at the Teachers Pay Teachers Super Tutor store (free)
The following activities are great resources to add to a Phonics Kit.
Syllable Counting: clap or tap, or feel your mouth drop.
- Syllable Sort from Peterson’s Pad
- Use animal flashcards from supersimplelearning and sort by how many syllables.
Identify initial sounds
- Beginning Sound Picture Sorts from the measured mom. Match magnetic letters to pictures with Dig up the Letters.
- Another magnetic letter match with Beginning Sound Magnet Match from the kindergarten connection.
- Word Slider Cards from deceptivelyeducational. (put these in an envelope w/end cut off or a pencil box & slide out one sound at a time)
- Cards with Elkonin boxes from Kimberly’s Kindergarten.
PLAY Online games: at Readingresource.net, Words that Rhyme at Roy the Zebra, Rhyming and initial sounds at literactive, initial sounds at funfonix (click on Game, then Collect the Stars). Beginning sounds, Nine Squares, middle sounds, final sounds and garden leaves at literactive.
Note that many online games require Flash and may not work well on some tablets and smartphones. It can be helpful to download the Puffin browser.